Sunday, March 28, 2010

sing-kapore..

This group of Singaporean came to pay a visit to Kem today. And I was given the rare opportunity to play boss for a while. The top guns at Kem felt that their command of the Orang Puteh language was not to their satisfaction and since the briefing for the visitors was decided that it would be done in English, moi was called to the rescue. OK.

After being told that the visitors would arrive brunchtime, I arrived earlier at breakfast time. For the slideshow and note-making preparations, you understand. My hands alternated between icy cold and warm from the heart palpitations I got thinking of the possible folly that might occur during the presentation. Plenty of deep breaths did I take to calm my nerves. Hey? What's to be nervous about? Plenty!! I tend to stutter when my nerves are jangled. and there's this face palsy that's worrying me..

Anyway...we waited. And waited. And waited...first the news was that they had changed plans and instead of going water rafting as written in the travel itenerary, they were already at Kundasang enjoying the not-as-cold-as-before air AND that they were on their way down. 2 hours later they still hadn't come.

Then the sky opened and rain poured down. And the electricity bailed out on us. CURSES on SESB!! Big top gun decided that the waiting game and the outage should be reasons enough to call the thing off. She dialed a set of numbers and thrust the phone at me. Hah..couldn't she have explained the situation herself? So, I was left to explain - in English - the whole situation of it being raining cats and dogs and that the power outage meant powerpoint presentation was impossible..blabla... I was slightly puzzled why the person at the other end seemed to be fumbling with words and kept telling me to call the Pusatko even though I explained I was calling from there. I asked him where he was and he replied that he was at the airport. That puzzled me even more and asked when he was coming down to Kiulu. He hesitated and and later asked whether I could speak in Malay. SO, okay. I was a bit relieved that this Singaporean asked for Malay speech and asked him again what was the situation like, what time were they coming down.. and he said that there must be some mistake. I finally asked who was it on the line. When he replied, 'Wandi'. I took the mobile phone off my face and called the big gun and hooted with laughter. Wandi was the Kem driver. The big gun had dialled the wrong number and just gave the phone to me thinking that it was the Singaporean guy on the other end. And I thought the same. Mulau...
She later did a redial and got to the right contact. Too late to cancel..they were 5 minutes away from our doorstep.
Anyway..the visitors were clad in casual pants and t-shirts while we were all in our number 2 formals. I did the introduction, jittery and longing for a swig of a cold beer to calm the suddenly upset throat. All eyes were on me. I could feel my heartbeat banging on my eardrums. I knew I was nervous because I was twiddling with the cheap 2B pencil like I was the best twiddler in the universe. Soon however, as I saw nods and smiles coming from the audience, I slowly got hold of my nerves. Fuh..
I think I did okay. I got to shake hands with the Deputy Director of the Singapore Co-curriculum Sector and with the Deputy Director of the Singapore Outdoor Education Sector. And they get to know lil ole me. Those are rewards in a way, ya?
After a light snack, we gave them a tour of the Kem. They were quite impressed with how well-arranged and well-organized our Kem were. Hmm..maybe an exchange program will materialise one day?

Me n the pencil..greatest twiddler in the world.

Pictures courtesy of 9w6EDY
Yesterday, a hurdle overcome. Today yet another one. Mayhaps next week?

No comments:

Post a Comment