Sunday, October 26, 2008

Broadway Parodies Lagi Lah!

Whuaaaaa......
Ever since reading and finding out about The Actor's Studio, a Performing Arts Studio founded by husband-and-wife team Joe Hasham and Faridah Merican, I've always, always wanted to catch at least one show. The iklan of the shows are constantly on the Astro if you can remember. When I was studying in UPM way back then, I didn't find the opportunity to watch any of the musicals or dramas or plays they did. I wouldn't know how juga I think. Jauh juga tu, from serdang mau pigi KL and walk to dataran merdeka(that's where the Studio was). Most of the time the shows were at night. So, go figure.
So, when I went to Dr. Kheng's for the tonsilitis meds, I saw posted on the clinic's bulletin, a poster of 'Broadway Parodies Lagi Lah'. It was to be held at Recital Hall, UMS. I thought, this looks interesting. I asked the nurse about it and she said, yes, the tickets are being sold there. The show was a charity show jointly organized by the Lions Clubs of KK and Dr. Kheng is the president of the Damai Lions. RM50...I hesitated for just a moment (ndakkan kalu bili kasut mahal-mahal tutup mata trus bili, tapi this one mau pikir-pikir?) and bought the ticket.
I thought it was going to be a musical done by the students of the Sekolah Kesenian at UMS. I was reminded of the days during my TESL degree days when it was compulsory for us English majors (ehhehe..) to stage a play in front of an audience of not just our peers but of any walks of life. I thought it was something like that. Hah...when I looked at the ticket, there on top, was the logo of sorts of a small caricature of a mask and right next to it, "The Actor's Studio". Huiyo..double la excitement.
My good friend Annilynette, was also in town, and I asked her if she wanted to join me and she said yes.
The matinee was to start at 3pm but we came at 2.30pm. Good, because I found a parking spot right in front of the Dewan.
Sigh... I tell you... it has been so long since I became part of an audience for a live performing act so good like this. ...(Lemme see, the last time was when Roger Wang and Faizal Mr.Gambus Man came to town, went there with si SaintisTandek and Badrogon and my significant other) ...Our local girl Mia Palencia was one of the cast and as always she sings wonderfully. What was the show about? It was a musical show. "A fun-filled revue of well-known song and dance number in which the lyrics have been spoofed to showcase and celebrate a range of uniquely Malaysian culture, characters and icons." (taken from the booklet).
The actors can sure sing and dance. I enjoyed myself thoroughly. Halfway through the show I realised something, all this while I was thinking, when will I ever fly to KL to watch Actor's Studio? And there I was, sitting just 3 rows away from the stage, enjoying them. Such providence!
A big thanks to Annilynette. She was a good companion who could and would appreciate such shows.

2 comments:

  1. RM50 for an TAS show is cheap girl... we usually pay RM60 plus RM2 service fees for a ticket and that's the cheapest...so if u can get one lower than dat...well...grab it....

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree girl. RM50 was the cheapest ticket price (RM30 if you were a student). Never been to a TAS show... heheh

    ReplyDelete